Friday, December 02, 2005

Lick Observatory

Last Saturday went to Lick Observatory with one colleague and another with his family. It was my first day after I landed in U.S. I was kind of happy that Jet Lag didnot hit me. By the time we started it was 2.30p.m. I became adventerous and grabbed a cheese sandwitch to eat. Ate in a running car. The wind was chill and the sun was shining hot. Once we reached the windy road of the 30 mile drive I started feeling sick. Jet Lag hit me severely. Puked. But it was a real bad experience.

The observatory was very good. The telescope was huge. The mechanics were too good. The whole platform which will be around 2000 sq foot raises to the telescope. The air inside the observatory was chill. They seem to maintain the temperature same as outside to protect the lenses. The whole roof can open up to see the sky. The telescope itself was around 25-30 metres in length. It was a 120 inch telescope (that's what i remember, which is the diameter of the lens). The telescope was not accessible. It's only accessible in few months to the public.

The view was breath taking. I wonder how much fun the people looking at the stars from the telescope will be having. The body of Lick who built the telescope lies buried underneath the telescope.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home